Date Crumble Slice
16 people made this
I've always loved these simple treats made with chopped dates and oats. A great snack or lunch box food.
150g chopped dates
60ml cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
150g butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups (185g) self raising flour
100g rolled oats
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a large square tin.
- Place the dates, water, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan and heat gently until mixture forms paste. Add more water if required. Leave mixture to cool.
- Meanwhile, rub the margarine into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in oats and sugar then mix well.
- Place half the crumble mixture into the greased tray. Press down firmly. Smooth the date filling evenly all over but leave a small gap to the edge of tin.
- Spread remaining crumble evenly over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes in preheated oven until golden brown. When cold cut into small squares.
I like this recipe is easy to bake I reduced the sugar to 100g and added more dates.
- 20 Apr 2012
I used this recipe, and I think 1 1/2 cups of flour to 150gm of butter was wrong. The crumble was too flourly... I think the recipe should read 50gm of flour!!
- 01 Apr 2012
Write a review
Click on stars to rate