1 / 1 Picture by:
Kumara Vegetable Casserole with Dumplings
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 white onion
- 1/2 swede, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 kumara, peeled and diced
- 3 florets of cauliflower
- 3 florets of broccoli
- 6 - 7 mushrooms
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatos
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons stock powder mixed with water
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- 1 3/4 cups (250g) self raising flour
- 80g butter
- 115g cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 150mls milk
Preparation:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Dice the garlic and onion then fry in oil. Add swede, carrot, kumera and cauliflower (you might like to pre-boil the harder veggies a little). Cook for 2-3 minutes then add mushrooms, tomatos and broccoli.
- Dissolve cornflour in water to form a bit of a paste then add stock and add to mix to the saucepan. Stir and simmer for a while, add oregano and then place into an oven-proof dish. Bake for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, sift flour into bowl, add butter and cheese and stir. Add oregano if you like in a separate bowl, beat egg and milk then add to dry ingredients to make a dough. Roll out and cut into small circles about 5cms across.
- Take dish out of oven and place the little circles around the edges of the dish just crossing over a little. Increase temperature in oven to hot. Brush dough with milk and sprinkle extra cheese over the whole lot.
- Cook for a further 10-15 minutes until dumplings have risen and turned golden brown.
Depending on how big you chop the hard veggies, they might take a little longer to cook.
Kumara is also known as a sweet potato. Swede is known as a rutabaga.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!