Easy Gooseberry Pie
- 3 cups fresh gooseberries
- 2 cups (400g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ready prepared sheets of shortcrust pastry to line and cover two 23cm pie dishes
- 2 tablespoons low fat milk
- 1 tablespoons caster sugar
Preparation:30min › Cook:35min › Ready in:1hour5min
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Stem and rinse berries. Crush 1/4 of the gooseberries in the bottom of a saucepan. Combine sugar, cornflour and salt; mix with crushed gooseberries. Cook and stir until mixture boils. Cook further 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add in remaining whole gooseberries.
- Pour fruit filling into lined pastry case. Adjust top pastry, pinching the seams together to seal and cut slits to let steam escape. Brush with milk and sprinkle over sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until pastry is golden in colour.
Wonderful way to use up my gooseberries! - 21 Jul 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. This is the recipe I use, but only use 300g sugar. I usually add a bit of cinnamon before covering with the top pastry. - 21 Jul 2008
This pie was great. It was not tart like some of the other Gooseberry recipies I have tried. My husband and my kids raved over it. - 21 Jul 2008