Salmon Pasta Bake
Serves : 6
- 220g spirals, penne or fettuccini
- oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (or 2 teaspoons minced garlic)
- 100g baby spinach, chopped
- 1 415g can red salmon
- 1 cup cream (I use Light & Creamy 97% fat free)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 handfuls grated light cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2/3 of a 340g tin corn kernels
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 cup carrot puree
- 10 - 15 anchovies, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful extra grated light cheese
Preparation:20min › Cook:35min › Ready in:55min
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Lightly grease a large ovenproof dish.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water till almost cooked. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- Saute garlic and onion in oil spray in a large frypan till just beginning to brown. Add grated zucchini and saute, stirring till wilted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cream (or Light & Creamy), grated cheese, parmesan, lemon zest and juice, spinach, corn, carrot puree, anchovies, zucchini mix and entire contents of the salmon tin (including liquid). Break up salmon and mix all ingredients well. Mix through pasta and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to prepared dish and level off. Sprinkle top with extra cheese. Cover (either with a lid or with foil) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and switch oven to grill and grill top for 5 minutes to brown cheese.
- Serve with a fresh summer salad.
I keep carrot puree in the freezer to thicken sauces and to add vegie content to dishes. If you don't have carrot puree, you could use 2 grated carrots instead. To make this a vegetarian dish simply leave out the salmon and anchovies and add in mushrooms for protein.
Use for leftovers
Any leftovers are great in the school lunchboxes, as this tastes great cold as well.
If you like to spice things up a little, simply add in some chilli sauce to the mix.
Great family dish, the lemon zest adds a real zing, but it's still good if you don't have any, just some lemon squeeze will do. - 14 Mar 2012