German Lentil and Veggie Soup
- 2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 150g cooked ham, cubed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery or traditional salt
- handful chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preparation:10min › Cook:8hours › Ready in:8hours10min
- Place lentils in a 5 to 6 litre slow cooker. Add chicken stock, bay leaf, carrots, celery, onion and ham. Season with Worcestershire sauce, garlic, nutmeg, caraway seed, choice of salt, parsley and pepper.
- Cover, and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.
You can also make this soup in no time using a pressure cooker. Just cook for 10 to 12 minutes once you've built pressure, and use the Quick Release Method (or follow your manufacturer's instructions for lentils).