1 / 1 Picture by: 艳阳天
Pan Fried Fish in a Sweet and Sour
- 1 (500g) whole freshwater fish, such as catfish, cleaned and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely diced ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Chinese black vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely diced spring onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cornflour mixed with 2 teaspoons water or as needed
Preparation:20min › Cook:20min › Extra time:15min cooling › Ready in:55min
- Fillet the fish and slice the fillets into thick slices. Marinate with salt, Shaoxing wine, pepper and ginger for at least 15 minutes. Lightly coat the fish in cornflour.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a frying pan over high heat until hot. Pan fry the fish until golden. Set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean. Add oil and heat until hot. Stir in the sugar, tomato puree, black vinegar, spring onion, sesame oil, salt and water. Stir and bring to the boil.
- Add a little bit of cornflour slurry to thicken the sauce.
- Add the fish and gently stir to coat the fish with the sauce. Serve.
Chinese black vinegar and Shaoxing wine can be purchased in Asian speciality shops.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!