1 / 1 Picture by: Toi
Deep Fried Pork Wontons
- 450g pork mince
- 3 garlic cloves, cut into small pieces
- 1 coriander root, cut into small pieces
- 5 white peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 50 wonton skins, or as required
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable oil, for frying
- plum sauce, for dipping
Preparation:45min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hour15min
- In a mortar pound the white peppercorns until finely ground. Add the garlic cloves and coriander root then pound everything until a paste forms. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the pork, paste, salt and pepper then mix well.
- Prepare to assemble the wontons by having ready a clean work surface, a butterknife or chopstick, a small bowl of water, a tray to lay out the finished wontons and a moist towel to cover them.
- On the work surface lay down a wonton skin with a corner facing you. With the knife or chopstick deposit about a teaspoon of filling in the middle of the wonton.
- Moisten the edges of the wonton skin. Fold one corner to the opposite corner but miss it by a few centimetres. You should have a triangle shape that's slightly off, with two tips. Press all the air out from around the filling.
- Moisten one of the triangle side tips and fold them together, so the triangle turns into a crown. You are done. Lay it down onto the tray and cover with the moist towel.
- Repeat with the rest of the wonton skins and filling.
- If you want to freeze them put the tray into the freezer with none of the wontons touching each other until they are frozen solid. Only then put them into a freezer bag or container.
- If you want to cook then straight away heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. When hot drop the wontons in and let them fry until golden brown. Don't crowd the wontons or they won't crisp up properly.
- Serve with the plum sauce.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!