1 / 1 Picture by:
- 6 boneless veal shanks
- 12 pink eye potatoes
- 2 turnips
- 120g smoked speck or ham
- 1 Paperbark Roll
- Alpine Pepper to taste
- 2 Litres beef or veal stock
Preparation:15min › Cook:2hours › Ready in:2hours15min
- Pre heat the oven to 150°C.
- Heat the stock in a deep baking tray.
- Lay out 6 sheets of paperbark on the bench, fibrous side down.
- Lay the shank in the center and season with Alpine Pepper.
- Cut the turnips into fingers and speck into strips and lay in the center of the shank.
- Roll up like a Swiss roll, and tie the ends of the bark and along its length so that it retains its shape.
- Place the shanks in the liquid and place in the oven for about 2 hours.
- The best way to test if the shanks are cooked is to pinch them if they feel a little soft they are cooked.
- Steam the potatoes.
- Infuse some olive oil with native mint - the correct ratio is 1 tsp. to 250ml of light olive oil.
- When the shanks have been in the oven for 1½ hours, add the potatoes.
- When the shanks are cooked remove them and the potatoes from the tray and rest the meat.
- Reduce the stock by half and adjust the seasoning. (Never add seasoning before you reduce as will concentrate the flavour as it reduces and will get too strong.)
- Remove the shanks from the paper bark and slice in half.
Arrange the potatoes on the plate with the veal shank nearby and finish with the reduced stock.
See it on my blog
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!