Broad Bean Falafel
- 150g dried broad beans
- 200g dried chickpeas
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- oil, for frying
Preparation:2days › Cook:30min › Ready in:2days30min
- Put broad beans in a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak for 2 days, changing the water once a day; in the summer change it twice a day.
- On the second day soak the chickpeas in a separate bowl.
- Drain beans and chickpeas. Remove skin from the beans (very important).
- Roughly dice the onion and garlic. Tear off the parsley leaves. Puree with the chickpeas and beans finely in a food processor always pushing down the mixture from the edges of the container so that everything is pureed well and evenly.
- Add the spices, bicarb, salt and pepper. Leave the mixture to stand for 30 minutes.
- Make 25-30 small balls and flatten them out a bit. Place on baking paper and allow to stand for another 30 minutes.
- Heat sufficient oil in a frypan and fry six falafel at a time. When they are crispy and brown on the bottom, turn once and gently fry the other side until crispy. Remove from frypan and drain on paper towel.
- Serve warm or cold with pita, salad and tahini sauce.
The first batch went to tcrumbs in the pan so I baked the second lot with a spray of oil and they were nice. I'm not familiar enough to discern a difference with plain chickpea falafel so I'd probably avoid all the peeling which was fiddley - 05 Jul 2011