Spicy Southern Man Stew for Scarfies
- 600g chuck, gravy or blade steak
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes (in juice)
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock (dissolve in hot water)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons chilli flakes
- 1 jalapeno (diced)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (diced)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 parsnips (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 potatoes or kumara (diced)
Preparation:30min › Cook:7hours › Ready in:7hours30min
- Before you start, turn the slow cooker on low.
- Heat the olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat and brown the beef. Once browned, remove and season with salt and pepper reserving juices. Add the ginger, jalapeno, and garlic. Stir until soft. Add curry powder, tomatoes, chilli flakes and beef stock. Stir slowly for 1 minute.
- Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Layer with the beef. Scoop the frypan mixture into the slow cooker over the beef. Place the diced parsnips, carrots and potatoes (or kumara) over the meat.
- Cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Best served with a cold bottle of Speights. Cheers.
Fantastic. great served with crusty rolls to mop up the left over gravy. - 09 Oct 2011
Very tasty. I love spicy food and this really had a kick. I did the version with the kumera instead of potato which I'd definitely recommend. Glad there's enough for leftovers! - 04 Jul 2013
Awesome! Thank you , This is our second batch , less hot chilly this time - 18 May 2013