7 people made this
Onion sauce is great for most meats and over vegetables. It is a traditional white sauce base with onion and Dijon mustard.
1 large onion, diced, end reserved
1 cup (250ml) milk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Add onion to a saucepan of boiling water and boil on a moderate heat for approximately 15 minutes to soften slightly.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the cornflour and stir into a thick 'paste'.
- Slowly add the milk a little at a time stirring continually to combine with the 'paste'.
- When the onions are cooked add them to this white sauce. Add the Dijon mustard, black pepper and salt, to taste. Turn down heat and continually stir until sauce thickens.
- Remove saucepan from heat and grate the remaining onion into the sauce this will give it a stronger flavour.
Very nice, even my teenage son liked it!
- 15 Jul 2012
Write a review
Click on stars to rate