Lancashire Lamb Stew
Serves : 4
- 750g lean lamb, cubed
- 1/2 cup (60g) plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 100g swede, cubed
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon diced thyme
- 1 teaspoon diced rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg, to taste
- 450g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 400 ml beef stock
- 30ml dry sherry
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 15g butter
Preparation:20min › Cook:4hours › Extra time:4hours20min › Ready in:8hours40min
- Coat the lamb with flour. Layer the lamb, onions, celery, carrot and swede in a slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, mustard and nutmeg.
- Cover with potato slices then pour in the stock and sherry.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours.
- Combine the garlic and butter then spread over the potatoes. Sprinkle with ground black pepper.
You say this recipe is ready in 8 hrs 40 minutes but in the preparation method, it says only cook for 3 to 4 hours. You mention 'extra time' of 4 hours and 20 minutes. Not clear on whether this time is spent on a low heat maybe? Could you clarify please, as I would love to try this recipe? Wenya - 11 Jul 2010