Gluten-Free Apple and Carrot Cake
- 1 tablespoon oil, for greasing
- 1 orange
- 230g self raising gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 140g brown sugar (or agave syrup)
- 5 tablespoons canola oil (or 3 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons apple sauce)
- 140g finely grated carrot
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 85g diced dried apricots, unsulphured
- icing sugar, for dusting
Preparation:20min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour10min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a cake tin with oil.
- Zest and juice the orange; reserve zest and 5 tablespoons of juice.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together.
- Add the reserved orange juice, brown sugar and canola oil. Stir well.
- Add the grated carrot, apple, orange zest, apricots and stir until well mixed. Spoon into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Cool on a rack before removing from tin.
- Serve inverted with a dusting of icing sugar.
I found this cake to to very moist and tasty. My six year old son enjoyed it and didn't believe there was carrot in there. Unlike a lot of gluten free cakes I found it stays fresh and moist, I will definitely make it again. - 03 Nov 2011