1 / 1 Picture by:
Makes : 16 mini puddings
- 1.2Kg mixed dried fruits of your choice
- 1 small apple, peeled and grated
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- zest of one orange
- zest and juice of one lemon
- ½ cup brandy
- 250g butter
- 250g dark brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 250g plain flour
- 2½ teaspoons Herbie's Spices Mixed Spice
- 1 teaspoon Herbie's Spices Quatre Epices (sweet)
- 1 cup soft, white breadcrumbs
- 50g roasted pecans, chopped
- 16 roasted pecan halves
- approx 300g fruit mince
Preparation:30min › Cook:1hour30min › Extra time:12hours soaking › Ready in:14hours
- Place dried fruit, apple, carrot and zests in a very large bowl and pour in lemon juice, brandy and mix together. Cover and leave overnight or longer if you can.
- Pre-heat oven to 190ºC. Lightly butter 16 one-cup moulds and place in two deep baking trays. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Drizzle in golden syrup.
- Sift together flour, mixed spice and quatre epices, and add to egg mixture. Add breadcrumbs and nuts and fold in well.
- Mix cake batter into the dried fruit mix in batches.
- Place a pecan on the bottom of each mould and scoop about a dessertspoonful of fruit mince on top.
- Divide cake mixture evenly between them, filling nearly to the top and smooth.
- Cover each mould with a square of buttered foil that's pleated in the middle and tie securely with string. Alternatively, fill two 6-8 cup pudding basins.
- Place tins in the oven in the baking tray, pour in boiling water to come two-thirds up the sides, and cook, topping up with water occasionally, for 1½ hours. (If making 2 larger puddings, place in large saucepan with water halfway up sides of dishes, simmer 5 hours.)
- When cooked run a blunt knife around the edge and turn out onto plates.
- Aby remaining puddings can be cooled and stored in the fridge.
Quatre Epices Spice
Quatre Epices is a blend of allspice, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!