Extra time:15min resting ›
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C.
- Remove skin from ham, score fat into diamonds and press a clove into the centre of each. Place ham in a deep roasting pan.
- To make the glaze, mix marmalade with the mustard and ground star anise and spoon liberally over the ham to coat thickly.
- Pour the pineapple juice and stout into the pan.
- Bake ham for 25 minutes per kilo, basting occasionally. If the leg darkens too quickly, cover with brown paper.
- Remove from oven when golden, cover with foil and stand about 15 minutes before slicing.
If you don't have cumquat marmalade, use a good-quality orange marmalade. Excess ham can be sliced and frozen ... and don't forget to save the ham bone for some pea and ham soup!
This version was developed when Herbie featured on Surprise Chef (Channel 7) many years ago, and has become a family favourite.