Serves : 12
- 1 kg Ricotta Cheese
- 200 g Granulated white sugar
- 6 (70g) Eggs, fresh
- 2 tsps Pure Vanilla Essence
- 2 tsps Ground Cinnamon
- Rind of 1 Orange
- 1 Tbs Juice from the fresh orange
- 110 g Self-Raising Flour
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour15min › Ready in:1hour35min
- Pre-heat oven to 150C, for fan-forced oven. An oven that is not fan-forced add 10C.
- Beat cheese for 10 mins on high speed, until the cheese is smooth. Add vanilla and juice.
- Add sugar and cinnamon in small bowl, gradually add this to the cheese mixture on a medium speed.
- Add 1 egg at a time, still on medium speed, until each egg addition is completely mixed through.
- Sift flour, add the flour and rind into cheese mixture and gentle fold through with a plastic spatula.
- Line an 20cm spring form cake tin with baking paper and generously grease with margarine.
- Pour cheese mixture into cake tin, place more mixture in the middle of tin, this allows for the cake when cooled to still have an even top and not sunken in the middle as some cheese cakes do.
- Bake for 75 mins. Check at this time whether the cake springs up when you have gently touched it in the middle. If not ready, maybe another 10 mins in the oven.
Serve either warm or cold with orange segments and an orange icing. Orange Icing: 1/4 C Pure Icing Sugar and 1 Tbs Orange juice, mix throughly. If you want a thicker consistency use less juice and vise versa.
Can use other citrus fruits, substituting the orange but using the same quantaties.
When you line the cake tin, allow for the baking paper to go over the top on the tin. This allows the cake to bake up the sides which gives you that lovely look of a brown side and the top part (approx. 1 cm) bright yellow.