Butter Chicken for the Slow Cooker
- 40g butter
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) vegetable oil
- 4 large skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Indian curry paste
- 2 teaspoons tandoori masala
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 140g tomato paste
- 15 green cardamom pods
- 1 (400ml) tin coconut milk
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- pinch salt to taste
Preparation:15min › Cook:6hours › Ready in:6hours15min
- Melt the butter and vegetable oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Stir in the chicken, onion and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, curry paste, tandoori masala, garam masala and tomato paste until no lumps of tomato paste remain. Pour into a slow cooker, and stir in the cardamom pods, coconut milk and yoghurt. Season to taste with salt.
- Cook on High 4 to 6 hours, or on Low 6 to 8 hours until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced to your desired consistency. Remove and discard the cardamom pods before serving.
Take a needle and thread and pierce the needle through the top of the cardamom pod. Continue with all the cardamom pods and then tie the ends together in a knot so it looks like a ring (you don't have to do this if you don't want the extra step...it just makes it easy to remove and nobody crunches down on a big bitter cardamom pod).
Used different ingredients. I couldn't get hold of curry paste or Tandoori Masala so instead I used: 1 teaspoon of Chilli Powder 1 teaspoon of ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Otherwise I followed the original receipe. The result was spot on! - 17 Apr 2011
I have cooked this twice and both times there was nothing left in the pot. This recipe is so easy and will never ever fail to please. A definate winner - 19 May 2012
made this last night for my partner and boys. We all loved it. Added half coconut milk and half coconut cream to make it even more naughty. Also had no cardommon pods so used ground cardommon instead. Absolutle perfect and will be on the menu in our home often. Thanks for sharing - 10 May 2012