Cajun Stuffed Capsicums
Serves : 6
- 6 large green capsicums
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- black pepper to taste
- 375g raw prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 spicy sausage, diced
- 1 cup (220g) longgrain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups (625ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup passata
- 1 lemon - cut into wedges, for garnish (optional)
- Tabasco sauce
Preparation:15min › Cook:50min › Extra time:10min › Ready in:1hour15min
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Grease a 20x30cm baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove tops and seeds from capsicums and drop into boiling water 3 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep fry pan over medium heat. Gently cook onion until soft and then add garlic and season with oregano, Cajun seasoning and black pepper. Add prawns and sausage and cook until prawns turn pink. Stir in rice, and cook 1 minute. Pour in chicken stock and passata. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until thick. Fill capsicums with stuffing mixture and place in baking dish.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with lemon wedges and Tabasco sauce.
Used different ingredients. This recipe was really good. I didn't have any sausages so I'd used bacon and it turned out really well. Found it took longer to cook on the stove top then the time specified. Next time I will cook the rice a head of time to cut down time and chicken stock. - 29 Sep 2008
Something else. Great job Heidi! This is a wonderful change for stuffed capsicums. First, I steamed the green capsicums instead of boiling them - easier to handle and that way they didn't get soggy. Then I used the "Creole Seasonings Blend" recipe from this site (and less of it - apprx 1/2 tbls) and right before I stuffed the cappos, I added about 250g sharp cheddar cheese: mixed it into the rice & sausage concoction to melt. Finally, I sprinkled a DASH of brown sugar over all and opened another 250g can of tomato puree and poured over the top of that. Baked and viola! We loved these! It had kick but it wasn't hot. Great blend of flavours! My whole family thanks you Heidi!! - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. I make this dish all the time! use green capsicums and don't use chicken, just the andouille. add a little Louisiana Hot Sauce and it's sooo good!! - 29 Sep 2008