Jen's Atomic Chilli
- 1 kg beef mince
- 3 (400g) cans diced tomatoes
- 150ml tomato paste
- 1 330ml can beer
- 2 cups beef stock (or 2 cups water and 2 dried beef stock cubes)
- 3 (450g) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 green capsicums, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
Preparation:15min › Cook:4hours › Ready in:4hours15min
- Place beef mince in a large, deep pot (at least 5 litre capacity). Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown, crumbling meat as it cooks.
- Add all other ingredients to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to very low and simmer 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Flavour develops as it cooks, so don't skimp on time!
If it tastes too spicy at the beginning of cooking, don't panic, the heat mellows out and is absorbed into the beans (the yummiest part!). Always best the next day.
This chilli can easily be made in a slow cooker. Brown meat and onions on the stove first, then add all ingredients into the slow cooker, stir and cook on high 3 hours and low another 5-7 hours.
I have only been cooking for a few weeks and made this. Absolutely outstanding flavour and easy to make. Highly recommended. - 04 Oct 2012
made it and loved it. It doesn't last long enough to freeze the leftovers. I have passed on this recipe three times already - 01 Dec 2010
I made this for guests last weekend, so I halved the chili powder. The flavours were delicious and the spiciness was not too strong. I will definitely make this again, only I'll use all the chili next time! - 06 Apr 2010