Spicy chickpea casserole
Serves : 4
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ cups dried chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2.5cm slice of parmesan rind
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 10 pitted green olives
- ½ butternut pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
Preparation:15min › Cook:6hours › Ready in:6hours15min
- Set the slow cooker on high heat and add the turmeric, smoked paprika, garam masala, ground ginger, curry powder and half the black pepper into the slow cooker and cook until fragrant -about 15 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and stir it into the spices. Cook on high heat for 10minutes to infuse the oil with spices.
- Then add the onions and cook for 1 hour until they are soft and translucent.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, dried chickpeas, salt, parmesan rind, tamarind paste, green olives, butternut pumpkin and the bay leaf.
- Give it all a stir, and cook on high heat for 4 hours, or low heat for 6 hours.
- Add the lemon juice, the remaining black pepper, chopped parsley and feta cheese and stir to mix.
Just prepped all the ingredients and ready to go when I discover that there is no water/stock in this recipe in which to cook the dry chickpeas!! How can this work in a slow cooker? - 26 Aug 2012