Christina's Lamb Rogan Josh
- 1 kg boned leg of lamb
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 2 chopped onions
- 1/2 cup natural or greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 cup water
Preparation:30min › Cook:2hours › Ready in:2hours30min
- Trim the lamb or any excess fat and cut into large cubes.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large pot, add the onion, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the yoghurt, chilli, coriander, cumin, cardomom, cloves, turmeric, garlic and ginger. Add the tomatoes and 1 tspn of salt and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb and stir until coated. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour. Add lentils and water, stir well, cover and cook, stirring occassionally for another hour, or until lamb is tender and lentils are cooked.
- Add garam masala to the curry and mix through well. Serve with steamed rice, sprinkle with chopped coriander.
This curry is also beautiful cooked in the slow cooker. Prepare up to cooking begins in a pot, then transfer to the slow cooker and continue cooking as directed, on low setting for perhaps 3 to 4 hours.
Hey, good recipe. I added tomato paste to get a stronger colour and more tomato taste. Also I used more cinnamon to sweeten it a touch and a pinch of Saffron with two tablespoons of milk. I cooked in a slow cooker, it's gorgeous just like me. - 28 Apr 2012
Used different ingredients. Added a pinch of saffron strands after the onion was cooked and also some fennel seeds along with the other spices. - 06 Aug 2010
Super simple to make-we loved the addition of the lentils to make the meat go further and make it a bit healthier. I added a good pinch of saffron just as the onions were done, and some fennel seeds along with the other spices. - 06 Aug 2010