Quick Caramel Popcorn
Makes: 8 cups
- 100g (8 cups) freshly popped plain microwave pop corn (quicker than using the kernels)
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/2 tsp (heaped) bi-carb soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Preparation:5min › Cook:10min › Extra time:15min Other › Ready in:30min
- Pop the microwave popcorn and set aside in large bowl.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a heavy based pot until just starting to bubble.
- Stir in salt and then add sugar.
- Stir sugar through butter until smooth and fully combined.
- Reduce heat to low-medium temperature and allow sugar mixture to bubble (but not boil) for 3-5 minutes (until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is thick and sticky.)
- Remove from heat and stir in bi-carb soda very quickly, followed immediately by vanilla essence.
- Whisk until fully combined then pour quickly over popcorn.
- Toss popcorn and caramel together quickly until popcorn is coated - serve as is if you like chewier popcorn.
- If you prefer crunchier popcorn, preheat oven to 120 degrees celcius, spread popcorn into glass or casserole dish and bake for 15-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until caramel has hardened on the popcorn - ENJOY!
You can prepare the caramel in the microwave if you don't want to bother with the stove. In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter until it pops in the microwave. Stir in the salt and sugar until combined then return to microwave for 3 minutes on medium-high power. Whisk, then return to microwave for 2 minutes on high power. Follow steps 6-8 as normal. ENJOY!
the butter to sugar ration is way too high. Mine turned out horrible. My whole house is stinky and I threw out the whole thing. Never trying this again. - 24 Sep 2013
this was delicious! it tested our math skills to do the conversion for US baking, but it was a huge hit. i subbed rum extract for half of the vanilla and used air-popped corn - will be making again! - 26 May 2013
Well, I definitely have had better caramel corn, but this wasn't terrible. There is too much sugar to butter ratio and I really think the corn syrup needs to be there if you have it. That said, good in a pinch when your having that caramel corn craving! - 12 May 2013