Cheesy White Sauce
- 1 tablespoon (heaped) butter
- 1 tablespoon (heaped) plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 & 1/2 cups grated cheese
Preparation:5min › Cook:8min › Extra time:2min cooling › Ready in:15min
- Melt butter. Add butter, flour and salt. Whisk.
- Add milk. Whisk vigorously until there are no lumps
- Microwave for 6 minutes stopping every 2 minutes to whisk.
- Add cheese. Microwave for a further 2 minutes. Whisk.
- Let sit until ready to serve. (warm up if needed)
Add some mustard for a nice flavour - 13 Nov 2011
I cannot believe I never thought of making white sauce in the microwave before today! I was only wanting some cheese sauce to put on a baked potato for lunch, but didn't want to dirty up a pan on the stove. I figured there had to be a better way-and there was! Loved this recipe, only changed a couple of things. First of all, I found that only 4 minutes (instead of 6) was sufficient in thickening the sauce. I was afraid it might start to burn after that point. Also, I ended up having to add an additional 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of milk in with the cheese as it was melting, because it was way too thick. I also added a dash of pepper. Tastes very good though and was so quick and easy! - 07 Nov 2011
This was a fantastic recipe and so easy!! I've never had my cheese sauce turn out so good - and to think I did it in the microwave!!!! - 18 May 2010