Vegetarian Stuffed Capsicums
Serves : 6
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 1 1/2 cups (315g) brown rice
- 6 large fresh red or green capsicums
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 350g firm silken tofu
- 60g dried cranberries
- 30g chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:10min › Cook:1hour10min › Ready in:1hour20min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. In a saucepan bring the water to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, core and seed capsicums, leaving bottoms intact. Place capsicums in a microwavable dish with about 2cm water in the bottom. Microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- In a small frying pan bring soy sauce and sherry to a simmer. Add tofu and simmer until the liquid is absorbed. Combine rice (after it has cooled), tofu, cranberries, nuts, cheese, salt and pepper. Mix well and pack firmly into capsicums. Arrange capsicums in the dish they were microwaved in and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
Used different ingredients. We were in the mood for Stuffed Capsicumss and this recipe looked good. We didn't have any dried cranberries or pecans on hand, so I substituted them with sultanas and walnuts, which tasted great. Lots of interesting textures/flavours! My husband raved at how nice the filling was and that it seemed "meaty." I will likely be making this recipe again. Thanks! - 29 Sep 2008
Made it vegetarian. This turned out great! I made this and froze it so that I could pop it in the oven another day. Since it was frozen, it had to bake quite a bit longer (about 1 hr 15 min total). I like the way the rice got crunchy while baking. - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. It was a bit dry so I added some sour cream. But it was easy enough to make and pretty good. - 29 Sep 2008