- Put the stock on to heat in a large saucepan. Shell and devein the prawns and put aside.
- Finely chop the lemon grass. Peel and cut the ginger into julienne strips. Seed and finely slice the chillies. Squeeze the limes and reserve the juice.
- Add the lemon grass, ginger, chillies, lime juice and fish sauce to the simmering stock. Continue to simmer, over moderately low heat, for 1–2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely shred 2lime leaves and chop enough coriander to give 2 tablespoons.
- Add the shredded lime leaves and prawns to the stock and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a warmed serving bowl, add the remaining lime leaves and serve immediately.
Yabbies can be used instead of prawns. You could also substitute strips of skinless chicken breast.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamin C and iodine.
Known as nam pla in Thailand, and nuoc nam in Vietnam, fish sauce is available from Asian food stores and larger supermarkets. It keeps indefinitely without refrigeration.