- Soak both slices of bread in the milk for 5 minutes. Flake the crab, put into a bowl, then chop the prawns and add to the crab.
- Separate the eggs and put the whites aside. Add the yolks, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, almonds, cayenne and mayonnaise to the crab. Rinse, dry and chop enough parsley to give 1 tablespoon and add to the bowl.
- Squeeze the bread dry, add to the crab and stir until soft but not sloppy: add some breadcrumbs if the mixture is too moist.
- To make the coating: put the flour onto one plate and the breadcrumbs onto another. Whisk 1 tablespoon water into the egg whites. Divide the crab mixture into eight portions and shape into patties. Dip each one into the flour, shake off the excess, then dip into the egg whites; finally, coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Heat 1cm oil in a large frying pan over fairly high heat. Fry the seafood cakes for 2–3 minutes on each side until crisp and golden, then drain on paper towels. Serve two cakes per person.
Serve with lemon wedges, tartare or seafood sauce, lettuce and tomatoes, or a spicy salsa. To make a heartier meal, use the seafood cakes and salad to fill burger buns.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins B group and E, and calcium, selenium and zinc.