- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Heat the milk gently in a pot; do not let it boil. Meanwhile, if you are using frozen fruit, spread out on a plate to thaw a little.
- Grease four 300ml ovenproof dishes with a little butter.
- Remove the crusts from the bread, spread the remaining butter over the slices and cut each one into four triangles.
- Arrange a few pieces of bread in the bottom of each dish. Add a spoonful of fruit and a sprinkling of sugar, then repeat the layers, ending with a layer of bread.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, whisk lightly, then stir in the warm milk and the vanilla. Whisk again, then carefully pour the mixture evenly over each dish.
- Grate a little nutmeg over the puddings, transfer the dishes to a baking tray and bake the puddings for 15 minutes, or until just set and golden brown on top.
- Sift icing sugar over the tops and serve warm with cream or yoghurt.
Use two 500-ml pudding basins and turn the puddings out on to a platter to serve.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins A, B group, C, E and folate, and calcium, selenium and zinc.
You can prepare the puddings some hours ahead of serving and keep refrigerated. Return to room temperature 30 minutes before you are ready to bake them.