- Peel and chop the onion. Seed and chop the capsicum and the chilli; put the chilli aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the onion, capsicum, beef, paprika and cumin over moderate heat. Stir constantly until the meat browns.
- Peel and crush the garlic. Add to the pot along with the chilli, the tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, oregano, wine or stock, sugar and salt to taste. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Chop the spring onions; put aside. Preheat the griller to high.
- When the beef has been cooking for 15 minutes, drain and rinse the kidney beans, stir into the pot and cook for a further 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place the tortillas under the griller.
- Transfer the chilli con carne to four serving dishes, then add 1 tablespoon sour cream to each, sprinkle the spring onions over the top, and serve with the heated tortillas.
A simple green salad, perhaps with some hard cheese, adds a cool contrast to this rugged chilli.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins A, B group, C and E, and iron and zinc.