Serves : 4
- 2 shallots
- 3 small gherkins
- 90 g butter
- 2 large skate wings, about 500 g each
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or sherry vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers
Preparation:30min › Cook:20min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Peel and chop the shallots, chop the gherkins and put aside separately.
- Use a little of the butter to grease a shallow baking dish, which should be large enough to hold the skate wings flat in one layer. Rinse the skate, cut each wing into two pieces, then place in the baking dish and dot with the remaining butter.
- Sprinkle the skate wings with the chopped shallots and the balsamic or sherrry vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Bake the fish, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the thickest part of the wing flakes easily when tested gently with a fork.
- Sprinkle the pieces of fish with the capers and chopped gherkins and baste with the cooking juices just before serving.
Accompany with some tomato halves, roasted alongside the fish. New potatoes can be boiled or steamed while the fish is baking.
If you have difficulty finding skate, slices of fresh tuna can be used successfully in this recipe.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins A, B group and E.