- Preheat the oven to 200°C and grease a shallow, ovenproof dish, 25–30cm in diameter.
- Drain the canned apricots, reserving 100ml juice, and arrange them, cut side down, in the bottom of the dish.
- To make the batter, stir the sour cream into the reserved apricot juice. Place the flour in a separate bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence, quickly whisk into the flour to make a smooth paste, then gradually whisk in the apricot juice and sour cream mixture.
- Pour the batter over the apricots and bake the clafoutis in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping by blending the butter and sugar together with a fork in a small bowl.
- Remove the clafoutis from the oven after 15 minutes and dot the butter and sugar mixture evenly over the top. Return to the oven for the remaining 5 minutes, or until the batter is golden and puffed up.
- Serve hot, with crème fraîche or thick cream.
Canned peaches, plums or cherries can be used instead of the apricots.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING, WHEN SERVING 4:
good source of vitamins A, B group, C and E.
Instead of the topping, sprinkle the clafoutis with icing sugar before serving. Alternatively, sprinkle it with brandy – an apricot-flavoured brandy would be particularly good