Serves : 16
- 1 tablespoon gelatine
- 1/4 cup cold water (65ml)
- 2 cups (440g) sugar
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Preparation:15min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour15min
- Soak the gelatine in the cold water then heat over a low heat till dissolved.
- Meanwhile, stir the sugar into the boiling water till dissolved, then add the gelatine mix and the vanilla.
- Beat the mixture with electric beaters on high till it is thick and can stand in peaks by itself - about 10 mins.
- Line a greased slice tray with toasted coconut and spread the marshmallow evenly into the tray. Spread more coconut on the top. Refrigerate till set -about an hour - then cut into squares.
- OR...spoon into small ice cream cones and sprinkle top with coconut or hundreds and thousands and a small licorice stick.
This makes heaps! and would go really nicely on-top of a shortbread base and ice. My marshmellow turned out very soft and only eatable by spoon. I added a couple of drops of red colouring and I beat it for around 15min, but perhaps needed more as the base of the marshmellow was gooey. - 17 Aug 2009