Lamb Shanks in Red Wine Sauce
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Massell beef stock cube, dissolved in 150ml hot water
- 100ml red wine
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (heaped)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preparation:15min › Cook:8hours › Ready in:8hours15min
- In a frypan, brown the lamb shanks lightly in the olive oil.
- Place all the vegetables and the bay leaf in the base of the slow cooker.
- Place shanks on top, and sprinkle with salt and ground pepper.
- Add the wine and tomato paste to the prepared stock, combine well and pour over the shanks.
- Place lid on cooker, turn to low and cook for 8 hours.
- When cooking time is complete, lift the lamb shanks out of the cooker onto a dish and place in a warm oven.
- Pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a small saucepan, and add two desserspoons of corn flour to the liquid in the slow cooker, stirring well to blend over a low heat until sauce thickens slightly.
this was a very nice and easy reciepe and i must say came out delis !!! although the only change i made was put the stock and other stuff with the little bit of oil i used to brown the shanks and added whole garlic cloves but i love garlic so !! otherwise stuck to reciepe ! devine - 12 Sep 2011
I loved this recipe and especially the sauce it was finger licking. I wasnt sure what to do with the brown sugar so I just mixed in with the wine mix. I also only cooked it for 4.5 hours as i only used to lamb shanks. This is a dish i will be making again. - 10 Oct 2010
Something else. most important alteration: i only cooked it for half the time specified also a little change i made & that was to add a garnish when serving made of chopped parsley & mint, chrushed garlic & finely grated lemon rind. it just added that little something! - 05 Sep 2010