Serves : 2
- 6 rashers of bacon
- 1 large onion, or two if you like onion
- oil, for frying
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 (420g) tin corn kernels
- 1 (420g) tin chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- plain flour for coating chicken thighs
Preparation:30min › Cook:4hours › Ready in:4hours30min
- Chop onion/s and bacon.
- Fry onions in oil till a little golden, remove, drain and add to slow cooker.
- Add a little more oil if necessary and fry bacon till brown. Remove, drain and add to slow cooker. Dip chicken into flour and gently fry till brown on both sides. Drain and add to slow cooker.
- Remove oil from pan and add a little water to the pan to remove what remains and tip into slow cooker.
- Then add contents of both cans to slow cooker, stir and cover.
- Set slow cooker to low, and cook for at least four hours, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable.
This recipe has potential and is very easy to prepare. The flavors are really simple but I felt it needed a little more seasoning. On the other hand, sometimes simple dishes and flavors are what I crave. I did remove the skin from the thighs and added about 1 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp paprika. I also used half can of chickpeas and added a few dashes of a mildly spicy hot sauce to make it interesting. Cooking time is right on and the chicken was tender and falling from the bone perfectly. - 02 Nov 2011