- 1 kg lamb, cut into 2cm (approx) cubes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 500g plain yoghurt
- 1 cucumber, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 souvlaki breads (or pita or gyros bread)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
Preparation:30min › Cook:20min › Ready in:50min
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients - the 1/2 cup olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano, mint and garlic and pour over the lamb cubes and mix well. Cover, and marinate in the fridge a couple of hours.
- To make the sauce, mix the yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, the 2 tablespoons olive oil and oregano salt and pepper. That should sit for a couple of hours too.
- Heat up the barbecue or the grill. Thread meat onto skewers. Barbecue or grill 10 minutes, turning once- or until they're done as much as you want.
- Lightly sprinkle pita bread with olive oil, and place on the bbq or under the grill to warm. Serve meat on pita bread along with sliced red onion, sliced tomato and yogurt sauce.
Altered ingredient amounts. I only had about 400g of stir fry beef strips in the house, so I halved the marrinade. I also put rocket in the pitta bread. Great recipe! - 08 Jun 2010
Absolutely loved this recipe but I played around with the tzatziki a little, I added about half a lemon's juice and added another cucumber. Also I didnt use mint on the lamb. In future I would only use 2 or 3 cloves of garlic max. 4 was a bit much - even my dog couldn't be around me for a few days I only had a half an hour to marinade but all the flavours came through perfectly. My party of 7 can't stop raving about how great this meal was and it was so easy to make. This one's a keeper! Thanks so much!!! - 25 Jan 2012
Yum, yum, yum. I was looking for a good souvlaki recipe when I found this one. Well done, it was awesome. - 08 Jun 2010