Spanish Bean Soup with Kale
Serves : 6
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 3 Andouille sausages, or any other spicy smoked sausage like chorizo
- 8 cups (2 litres) chicken stock
- 250g dried cannellini beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch crushed saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 200g curly kale, leaves coarsely chopped
Preparation:10min › Cook:2hours15min › Ready in:2hours25min
- Bring the water to a boil in a large frying pan. Add sausages, and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning once. Remove from the pan, dice and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, combine the chicken stock and dried beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Add the bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours. Discard bay leaf. Remove 1/2 cup stock to a small bowl. Stir in saffron to the bowl of stock and set aside to soak.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, and brown for about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan, and reduce the heat to low. Add the onion, and cook for about 5 minutes, then stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Mix in the capsicum and paprika. Cook for a few minutes before adding the mixture to the stockpot along with the sausage.
- Bring the soup to a low boil and stir in the kale. Simmer for 10 minutes, until kale is tender. Serve hot.
Used different ingredients. This is a very pretty soup. Easy to make. I would start by boiling the beans and wait till the beans are almost cooked untill cooking the sausages. Also, it does not really say what to do with the saffron once it is soaking. I assumed just add it to the pot. As a personal preference I lowered the amount of the garlic. I used italian sausage and added some black and cayenne peppers to add the spice of the sausage. I will definitely make again and next time use the sausage. Really enjoyed it. - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. I ended up changing the recipe at little due to what I had on hand. I substituted green capsucum for the red, turkey sausage for the andouille, and I browned the sausage in cajun seasoning instead of adding sweet paprika. I'm sure the recipe is just as delicious as originally intended, but this is what was in the kitchen. My husband and I thought this soup was awesome. I will definitely cook it again. - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. I just made this soup and it is definaley a keeper. I did make a few changes however. I've never heard of saffron so I left that out. And I used italian sausage and added red capsicum flakes to spice it up and a few chicken stock cubes. I tossed everything in the crock pot except the sausage and kale. When everything was almost done, I added my cooked meat and sauted kale and cooked another hour to blend in. This is absolutely yummy! - 29 Sep 2008