Favourite Barbecued Chicken
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
Preparation:5min › Cook:22min › Extra time:3min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat barbecue for medium-high heat.
- In a frypan, gently cook onion and garlic until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, honey, brown sugar, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes to thicken sauce. Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- Lightly oil the barbecue. Dip chicken in sauce, and turn to coat. Cook on barbecue for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once. Place the chicken to the frying pan with sauce. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.
Something else. I decided not to barbecue, but baked the chicken instead. I just put the chicken pieces in a baking dish and covered them with sauce. I also added one tablespoon of prepared mustard to the sauce as well. I won't be going back to the bottled stuff again, this sauce was delicious. - 29 Sep 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. I marinated the chicken breasts in this sauce all day then fried them on the stove at dinner time...delicious though a little sweet for our tastes. (I'll delete the honey and sugar next time and increase the garlic) - 28 Dec 2008
Something else. This chicken was a hit at our dinner party! I used a whole cut up chicken instead of chicken breasts, and it turned out wonderful! I increased the sauce 4X, since we like extra sauce on the side. This is a definite keeper! Everyone wanted the recipe! - 29 Sep 2008