Vermicelli Basil Chicken
- 250g vermicelli pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
- 4 boneless chicken breasts fillets - cooked and cut into cubes
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, rinsed, leaves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
Preparation:15min › Cook:25min › Ready in:40min
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain, and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Fry the onions and garlic until onions soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken, basil, salt and optiional chilli. Reduce heat to medium, cover frying pan and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Toss sauce with pasta to coat and heat through. Serve with Parmesan.
Used different ingredients. I love this recipe. I used fresh garden tomatoes, tripled the garlic, added dried oregano, and omitted salt. Because the tomato mixture doesn't really make a sauce, I added 225ml of white wine and 200ml chicken stock. Let everything simmer and it was simply delicious and light. The grated parmesan cheese is an essential finishing touch. I will definitely include this dish in my regular rotation. Thanks! - 18 Jul 2008
I love this recipe and we have it about once a month. I think it's great the way it is. I think people that don't like this recipe can't appreciate pasta that's not swimming in sauce. I don't think it's bland at all. My husband tends to like more sauce on everything so he's commented that it needs more sauce but he still loves the flavour. - 18 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. This was very good, i used penne instead. I sauteed the onion with garlic and chicken, along with salt pepper, oregano, crushed chillies, and added 1 tin chopped tomatoes. I put a pinch of sugar to cut the bitterness of the tomatoes. I tossed with the pasta and it was sooooo goood. Cheers! - 18 Jul 2008