Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Fettucine
- 40g butter
- 1 kg of chicken breast (diced, or sliced) OR 1 kg of chicken tenderloins
- 2 onions sliced
- 400g mushrooms (you can either cut them in your preferred way or use whole button mushrooms. I prefer them diced chunky)
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup (125g) grated tasty cheese
- 150ml thickened cream
- 100g baby spinach
- 400g fettucine (I prefer to use a fat dry egg fettucine. Fresh pastas don't seem to cook as well and sometimes go slimy)
Preparation:5min › Cook:25min › Ready in:30min
- Prepare a large pot with water and place over a high heat to boil ready for your pasta.
- In your frypan: add the butter, onion, garlic and mushroom on a medium heat. Allow this to sauté for about 10 minutes depending on how cooked you prefer your mushrooms.
- Add chicken tenderloins or pieces, leaving until just cooked.
- (Around now your water should be boiling and you can add the pasta to the water).
- Move the chicken, onion and mushrooms to one side of the pan, and add flour to the butter already in the pan (you may need to add some additional butter), mixing flour with butter until it bubbles.
- Turn off heat and slowly add milk, stirring with the back of a spoon to combine flour and milk.
- Return to a low heat, stirring while sauce thickens. Add cheese and mix through, then add the cream and mix through.
- Add baby spinach leaves, and leave on a low heat for about 5 minutes to allow leaves to wilt, stirring occasionally.
- Test pasta to ensure it is cooked "firm but soft" and drain.
- Serve your chicken and sauce over pasta.
- Enjoy =D
I think this dish is still open to variation and I usually don't measure the quantities... So I will do my best but feel free to play around with it! The best way I have found to cook this dish is in a big electric banquet frying pan.
Used different ingredients. Instead of onion i used shallots, 3 strands. Instead of using milk and butter i just used thickened cream. - 02 Mar 2010
Great recipe ! Add salt and pepper and fresh Parmesan too. Also for really tender chicken breast fry off the chicken in a little butter for 1 minute either side and then poach in boiling water for 10 minutes (turn heat off as you add the chicken to boiling water) - dice and add poached chicken to sauce just before serving. - 06 Oct 2010
My wife cooked this tonight. She followed the recipe exactly. It was very, very bland. It really needs something to pick it up. - 23 Sep 2011