Vegan Bean and Tofu Chilli
- 400g firm, silken style tofu
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup tinned or frozen corn
- 1 (400g) tin red kidney beans
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
Preparation:15min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour15min
- In a medium bowl, crumble the tofu and toss with the chilli powder and garlic.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and fry onion and celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tofu mixture. Continue cooking about 5 minutes over low heat.
- Mix in the corn, kidney beans and tomatoes. Add water and return to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 50 minutes.
Altered ingredient amounts. This was the first tofu recipe I've ever tried and I loved it! I left out the corn and didn't add any extra water so that it was thick. I highly recommend this to anyone who is experimenting with tofu. - 29 Sep 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. This is a delicious vegetarian recipe but uses way too much water. I used half the amount called for and then added uncooked elbow macaroni during the last 12 minutes of cooking. - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. I,too, had to add much more chilli powder and some chilli flakes because we love our chilli "Hot". I also added some sliced carrots, green peppers and red peppers to give an alround meal. I took the advice of others and only added enough water to barely cover. I also added some green lentils to give it substance. If some people find this chilli too watery, add some rice to it which will soak up the moisture. All in all it is a good chilli and easy and quick to make. - 29 Sep 2008