Traditional Bread & Butter Pudding
- 6 slices old bread (or let it dry out for an hour) with crusts cut off
- butter (enough to butter bread slices)
- 5 eggs
- 1 litre milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- sprinkle of nutmeg
- 1/3 cup sultanas (optional)
Preparation:30min › Cook:1hour30min › Ready in:2hours
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- Cut the crustless slices of bread into triangles and lay in dish for the best fit (you can be decorative but make sure the whole base is evenly covered).
- In a large mixing bowl beat 5 eggs on a medium speed and add milk gradually.
- Add vanilla essence and sugar and continue to mix for 1-2 minutes or until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle nutmeg on top.
- Place in oven and cook for 60 - 90 minutes (check every now and again).
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving with vanilla ice-cream.
- 23 Feb 2010
Possibly my pan wasn't big enough but I found 1L of milk was too much. Making it with fruit bread instead of adding sultanas. It's in the oven now so hopefully it'll be delicious! - 26 Jan 2011
Easy recipe. Did enjoy the sultana's (and I HATE sultana's), they gave the recipe a better flavour. Second time around I put strawberry jam on one side of the bread and honey on the other side, also added mixed-spice in addition to the nutmeg. Gave the recipe much more flavour. - 28 Nov 2010