Yummy Potato Bake
- 3-4 large potatoes
- plain flour
- shallots, onion or spring onion
- 3 slices ham or bacon-or more, if needed
- 125g tasty or chedder cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
Preparation:30min › Cook:1hour30min › Ready in:2hours
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a square or rectangular casserole or baking dish. Peel and slice potatoes thinly. Slice the shallots, onion or spring onions.
- Slice bacon or ham and grate the cheese.
- Put a layer of potato slices in the baking dish. Follow this with a sprinkling of flour and pepper. Sprinkle on bacon or ham, onions and cheese. Repeat the layering until you run out of room in the dish.
- The final layer should be pototoes, covered with only cheese and pepper.
- Pour milk over the whole lot. Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
I have never been able to make a nice potato bake that wasn't full of fat and cream so this recipe was a delight to find. I too added more milk. Thanks - 14 Jun 2011
I probably add more milk than that normally, about half way up the dish works well, but salty? There's no salt in it unless you've used very salty bacon or something? Also, I've found how well it turns out depends very much on the type of potatoes you use - you want the ones that go mushy when cooked - not the ones that stay really solid. - 31 Dec 2009
Nice 1970s wintery comfort food. I added some smoked chicken leftover bits as I didn't have enough ham. Also I added some mustard to the milk. Definitely think it needs more milk than the recipes states (agree it should be halfway up dish). And I cooked mine for nearly two hours (too busy watching food programme on tv to dish up!). But think it was all the better for that. Really soft and gooey inside, gold and crisp on top. - 07 Jul 2010