My Mum's Home Made Ice cream.
- 1 tin (375ml) carnation unsweetened evaporated milk (chill in freezer until very cold)
- 1 cup (220g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons gelatine, dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot water, then cooled before adding to mixture
- 300 ml fresh milk, not skim milk (warmed but not hot)
- 1 plain junket tablet or ¼ teaspoon junket powder (dissolved in a little cold water)
Preparation:30min › Extra time:3hours freezing › Ready in:3hours30min
- Beat tin of chilled evaporated milk until very thick and fluffy. Add sugar, vanilla and cooled runny gelatine mixture, beat until thick.
- Add dissolved junket tablet to warmed fresh milk and mix gently to rest of mixture.
- Pour into chilled freezer trays and freeze until set at least 1 to 2 cms around the sides of trays.
- Take out and turn into bowl and beat again until thick.
- Return to trays and freeze until firm, will take several hours.
Didn't work for me. My milk component sank to the bottom in the freezer, leaving the evaporated milk layer on top. I followed the instructions but perhaps I didn't beat enough the second time? Feedback would be appreciated if someone has made this before pls. - 21 Jul 2013
with this recipe do not use junket and milk. use all other ingredients as listed, and also only freeze for 1.5hrs remove and beat with hand beater to break up ice crystals, then put back in freezer for a further 1.5hrs. - 05 Dec 2013