- 1/2 cup (125g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (155g) treacle
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 125g butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 1/2 cups (435g) self-raising flour
Preparation:45min › Cook:10min › Extra time:5min › Ready in:1hour
- In a large saucepan heat sugar, treacle, ginger, mixed spice and cinnamon till it comes to the boil. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
- Add butter and stir gently till melted.
- With a fork, stir in egg, then gradually add the flour.
- Dough will appear crumbly, but one you start kneading, dough will come together nicely.
- Wrap one half of the dough in glad wrap. This will stop it drying out until you are ready to use it. Do not put in the fridge or it will get too hard.
- Roll dough to about 1/2 cm thick ( thicker or thinner depending on taste), cut with favourite cutters.
- Bake at 165 degrees C for about 10 minutes in a fan forced oven.
Quick and easy. I don't have treacle so I use golden syrup instead and I use brown sugar. It turns out great too. Thank you for sharing the recipe. - 23 Nov 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. I halved this recipe & thought it was not gingery enough for me: ended up adding about 1.5 more tsp ginger & still not as gingerbread tasting compared to other recipes. A half recipe made 100 mini gingerbread men (using 4x3cm cutter) and cooked at 165 degrees (fan-forced) for 8mins. - 30 Apr 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. I was trying to half the recipe, and accidentally put in enough ginger for the full recipe. Still turned out yum though. - 03 May 2010