Filo Chicken Parcels
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 3/4 cup (190ml) mayonnaise
- 2 medium lemons, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon or oregano
- 85g butter, melted
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 125g each)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation:20min › Cook:25min › Ready in:45min
- In a small bowl, combine the shallots, mayonnaise, lemon juice, 3/4 of the garlic and tarragon; set aside. In another small bowl, combine the butter and remaining garlic.
- Place one sheet of filo pastry on a work surface with a short edge facing you. Brush evenly with butter mixture. Repeat with one more sheet of filo. (Keep the remaining sheets covered with a tea towel or plastic wrap to avoid them drying out).
- Lightly sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Centre one chicken breast on the lower third of filo. Spread about 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise mixture over chicken breast. Fold bottom edge over chicken then fold in sides. Roll up in a parcel; cover with plastic wrap and set aside. Make five more chicken parcels like this.
- Place the filo parcels in an ungreased baking tin. Brush tops with remaining garlic butter; sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered, at 190 degrees C for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the pastry is browned.
Altered ingredient amounts. Due to rave reviews and requests from the family I have made this receipe two nights running! I'm not a huge fan of eating the same food two nights in a row so I wrapped the chicken in rindless short cut bacon (two pieces per chicken) and added a tablespoon of parmesan cheese to the mixture in each parcel. My family absolutely loved it! - 31 Oct 2009
Soooo yum! I chopped the chicken into bite sized pieces to make it go further and it was delish! Will make again and again... - 26 Jan 2012
Wrapping stuff in filo always adds some value to dinner and this worked for us. I only used one lemon though. - 31 Mar 2009