- Cut kangaroo into thin strips. Season with lime juice, 1 teaspoon pepper, pinch salt and (optional) 1 teaspoon chipotle paste. Mix through kangaroo strips and allow to marinate for at least 30 min.
- To make the rice – dissolve achiote paste in 1 cup warm water. Place rice and dissolved achiote water, plus additional cup of water in saucepan. Add bay leaves, pepper and pinch salt. Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce to low heat and cover for 15 min. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 min. Remove bay leaves.
- Heat pre-soaked black beans (or canned black beans) in a pot until simmering. Add garlic, caramelised onion and salt to taste (optional). Ladle two heaped tablespoons over the rice once it's in the tostada shell.
- Deep fry tortillas into bowl shapes by depressing a ladle into the centre of each tortilla. Fry individually, until crispy and golden. Remove and place on paper towel to cool.
- Sear the meat quickly on a hot fry pan until lightly browned. Rinse cactus strips in cold running water. Cut into smaller strips if over 5cm long. Sear cactus strips on a hot lightly oiled fry pan.
- To assemble, fill tortilla ‘bowls’ with a large spoonful of seasoned rice. Top with grilled kangaroo, cactus and tablespoon of salsa verde. Serve on a bed of mesclun leaves.
Mexican products - such as cactus strips, chipotle and corn tortillas - can be purchased through Fireworks – a Mexican importer and wholesaler. www.fireworksfoods.com.au If you are in Sydney, a selection of Mexican products are also available at
- Fiji Mart – 591 King St, Newtown 9517-2054
- Jed’s Café – 96 Glenayr Ave, North Bondi 9365-0022
To make chipotle paste
Chipotle chillies are smoked jalapenos and add a delicious spicy, smoky flavour to dishes. To make the paste, blend a 200g can of chipotle chillies into a paste. Alternatively, soak 2 dried chipotle chillies (available at Herbie’s Spices) overnight in water. Cut chillies in half and remove stem (and seeds if requiring less spicy heat). Blend with 2 tablespoons tomato paste, add a little water to get a paste consistency.