Portobello and Herb Burgers
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons crushed garlic
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 portobello mushrooms caps
- 4 slices mozzarella or Taleggio cheese (optional)
Preparation:20min › Cook:15min › Ready in:35min
- In a shallow dish, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Place the mushroom caps in the dish and turn to coat with the vinegar mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning twice.
- Preheat barbecue for medium-high heat.
- Place mushrooms on the barbecue, reserving marinade for basting. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently. Top with optional cheese during the last 2 minutes of barbecuing.
Altered ingredient amounts. I added a little whole grain mustard to the marinade. It rounds out the acidity and gives it some bite. - 09 Jul 2009
Better than all the garden burgers I have tried. Marinade makes the mushroom taste just like a steak. Very satisfying! - 12 Mar 2009