1 / 1 Picture by: JuliettevanSon
- 1.5 kg blade steak, cut into 1.3 cm cubes
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chilli flakes
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 1 (530g) tin whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 (170g) tin tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 (450g) cans kidney or chili beans
- 1-2 tablespoons cornflour
Preparation:20min › Cook:40min › Ready in:1hour
- Pat the meat dry with paper towels. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large cast iron cooking pot. When hot, add the meat. Sear until all pieces are lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Drain off fat and transfer to a bowl.
- Set aside. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the cooking pot and saute onion and garlic until onion is wilted but not browned. Stir in chilli powder, oregano, cumin and red chilli flakes.
- Add stock, canned tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, salt and sugar, mixing well and breaking up tomatoes. Add seared meat. Cover and simmer 40-50 minutes. Add beans and heat through. Thicken with cornflour to desired consistency.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!