Serves : 12
- For the shortbread base
- 1 2/3 cups (220g) plain flour
- 165g butter
- 1/3 cup (90g) white sugar
- For the caramel filling
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk
- 125g butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 375g dark chocolate
Preparation:15min › Cook:30min › Extra time:3hours chilling › Ready in:3hours45min
- Place first three ingredients - flour, butter and sugar - in a food processor and process until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Press into a 20cmx20cm tin.
- Bake at 190 degrees C for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Put the condensed milk, butter and golden syrup into a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour mixture onto cooled base and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
- Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave, checking stirring ever 30 seconds. When melted evenly, spread over caramel and cool in fridge. When chocolate is just beginning to set, cut into bars.
Altered ingredient amounts. The first time I made these, my Aussie husband said they were good but that the caramel layer was not thick enough and the other two layers were too thick. So now I make half recipes of the top and bottom layers. This solved the problem. Also, I add a Tablespoon of butter to the chocolate when melting. Makes it easier to cut and to eat but still firms up nicely. I have made these several times now and notice that I get slightly different results with different brands of sweetened condensed milk. I'm lucky to be able to get Golden Syrup here! Ann from Carbondale, Illinois, U.S.A. - 13 Aug 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. Caramel layer- Way to much butter. Should be 3.5 Tbsp and the above = 8.5 tbsp. I could not get the cond. milk and butter to combine and after following above instructions exactly the butter, syrup and milk part separated. I then went and bought Caramel squares, melted them down with a little milk and used that. Also added a little vegetable shortening to the choc layer so it would cut better. - 23 Jan 2009
made these for my son who has a nut allergy and he loved them, they lasted a day in my house. lovely - 17 Apr 2011