1 / 1 Picture by:
Creamy Pumpkin Pie
- For pastry
- 1 2/3 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 180g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/3 cup iced water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- For the filling
- 1 kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded and diced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup cream
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing
- sugar, for sprinkling
Preparation:45min › Cook:45min › Extra time:30min chilling › Ready in:2hours
- Firstly, prepare the pastry by placing the flour, sugar and baking powder in a food processor and process. Add butter and keep processing until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Keep the processor on and gradually add the water and vanilla till the mixture comes together. It'll form a smooth dough inside the processor. Wrap in plastic and place in the fridge for 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Cook the pumpkin in a saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain and process in a food processor until smooth. Once cool, add the honey, eggs and cream and whisk to combine.
- Halve the pastry, rolling out each piece to 3mm thick. Line the base of an 18cm pie dish with one half and trim any excess. Prick the base and blind bake. Using the other half of the pastry, cut out approx 50 circles/teardrops/moons.
- Place the whole dish on a baking tray and pour in the pumpkin mixture. Brush the edges of the baked pastry shell with egg white. Arrange the circles around the edges, brushing with any remaining egg white.
- Bake for 45 min or until just set. Allow to cool in dish.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!