Serves : 6
- 30g plain flour
- salt and pepper
- 6 thick slices veal shanks
- 30g butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 big carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 300mls chicken stock
- 1x400g tin diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
Preparation:10min › Cook:8hours › Ready in:8hours10min
- Toss the meat in the seasoned flour. heat the olive oil and butter together in a frypan over a medium heat and seal the meat, so it's just brown.
- Place the prepared vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker and put the browned meat on top of the vegetables. Pour the tinned tomatoes over the meat and pour over the stock. Add the bay leaf and fresh oregano. (If using dried oregano) wait until 1 hour before the end of cooking time.
- Cook for 8 hours on Low setting or 4 hours on High and a couple more on low.
Used different ingredients. Nice dish. I added gremolata - grated lemon rind & a handful of chopped parsley in the last 45 mins - this is what Italian's do. - 03 May 2010
Something else. I added a splash of white wine and 1 tablespoon of tomato paste to thicken the sauce. Delicious! - 31 May 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. I added half a cup of red wine and didnt use any chicken stock, a richer flavor I think with less liquid left over. - 08 Feb 2011